The nominations for the 2013 Spiel des Jahres, a German game award which I believe to be the most prestigious in the world, were recently announced. The three games nominated for the main award are:
- Augustus, designed by Paolo Mori, published by Hurrican.
- Hanabi, designed by Antoine Bauza (as was 7 Wonders), published by AbacusSpiele and R&R Games.
- Qwixx, designed by Stefen Benndorf, published by Nürnberger-Spielkarten-Verlag.
The nominations for the 2013 Kennerspiel des Jahres, an award designed to recognize more complex games, are:
- Bruges, designed by Stefan Feld, published by Hans im Glück and Z-Man Games.
- Legends of Andor, designed by Michael Menzel, published by Kosmos and Fantasy Flight Games.
- The Palaces of Carrara, designed by Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling, published by Hans im Glück and Z-Man Games.
The winners will be announced on July 8.
Image courtesy of Nürnberger-Spielkarten-Verlag